Microsoft Announces Upgrade for its Mobile devices to Curb Road Accidents
Microsoft has announced an update on its mobile devices that will help to curb accidents caused by distractions from texts and calls while driving.
The feature being introduced by Microsoft will automatically silence incoming calls and texts thus ensuring that the motorist will remain focused on the road, albeit, this will not mean that teenage drivers will be unable to send texts or receive incoming phone call while on the road.
The World Health organization indicates that:
- About 1.24 million people die each year as a result of road traffic crashes.
- Road traffic injuries are the leading cause of death among young people, aged 15–29 years.
- 91% of the world’s fatalities on the roads occur in low-income and middle-income countries, even though these countries have approximately half of the world’s vehicles.
- Half of those dying on the world’s roads are “vulnerable road users”: pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists.
- Without action, road traffic crashes are predicted to result in the deaths of around 1.9 million people annually by 2020.
- Only 28 countries, representing 416 million people (7% of the world’s population), have adequate laws that address all five risk factors (speed, drink-driving, helmets, seat-belts and child restraints).
It further goes on to state that, “There are few global estimates of the costs of injury, but an estimate carried out in 2000 suggest that the economic cost of road traffic crashes was approximately US$ 518 billion. National estimates have illustrated that road traffic crashes cost countries between 1–3% of their gross national product, while the financial impact on individual families has been shown to result in increased financial borrowing and debt, and even a decline in food consumption”.
Never the case, the Driving Mode will automatically silence incoming phone calls and texts, this will work in tandem with a Bluetooth device connected to the phone, while in the car. An additional feature, which shall come with the upgrade will enable the phone to auto-reply to any incoming phone calls or texts, by indicating one is busy driving and will get back to the recipient a Lil later.