A week ago 20 years back, on 3rd December 1992 the First Ever SMS Text Message was sent by a 22-year-old test engineer known as Neil Papworth for Sema Group in the UK, sent through a personal computer to send the message “Merry Christmas” to the phone of Richard Jarvis via the Vodafone network.
It is a long way back but SMS Technology has exploded into one of the most dynamic, popular and reliable platforms in the world. Below are some unbelievable facts that will blow your mind away! Neil who refused to take credit for the exponential growth of SMS was recently quoted as saying, “I didn’t invent SMS, I just sent the 1st. So kudos to all those GSM guys who worked hard to produce the standards we used for the implementation…”
12 AMAZING FACTS ABOUT SMS and cellphones
- It actually takes 26 hours for the average person to report a lost wallet. While it ONLY It takes MERELY 68 minutes for the average person to report a LOST PHONE.
- There are 6.8 billion people on the planet 5.1 Billion of them own a CELL PHONE, but did you know ONLY 4.2 billion OWN a toothbrush.
- It takes 90 minutes for the average person to respond to an email. It takes 90 seconds for the average person to respond to a text message.
- Mobile users across the globe sent a total of 6,100,000,000,000 text messages last year – that works out to an average of 200,000 text messages every second.
5. 91% of all U.S. citizens have their mobile device within reach 24/7.
- On June 12th, Whatsappnew hit a new daily record of 27 Billion Messages in a single day, yes that is a BILLION in just 24 hrs! With 10B+ msgs sent (inbound) and 17B+ msgs received (outbound).
- With Four billion mobile phones out there, 86% of mobile users said that they receive or send at least one text message per week, though often it is much more.
- There are actually more mobile phones on the planet than there are TVs in the world today.
- In some countries, there are more mobile subscriptions than there are people., well you could be wondering how could this be? Well some people have more than one phone.